Alaska courts are continuing to issue domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking protective orders (also called restraining orders) during the COVID-19 pandemic. If you need a protective order, you may still apply for one through your local state courthouse.  General information about protective orders and how they work can be found on the Alaska Court System Self-Help Center or An advocate at one of ANDVSA’s member programs can help you to fill out the paperwork remotely and can connect you with legal assistance (see the FAQ above, “I need legal help”).

You do not need to go to the courthouse to file your petition.  In all locations, courts are accepting documents through email.  Anchorage also accepts faxes to (907) 265-0104.  If you are filing in Anchorage, Anchorage courts have a specific protocol for domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking ex parte petitions that should be followed.  If you do not have access to email or fax, you can drop your petition off in a dropbox at your closest court location.  Below are some guidelines for how to file a petition:

  1. Fill out Alaska Court System Domestic Violence Form here. While this Domestic Violence Form is easier to fill out, you can alternatively fill out a PDF protection order petition. Make sure to electronically sign the petition using tools in the toolbar of your Adobe program that the PDF is opened in. If you are going to e-file it and cannot sign it, you may e-sign by typing “s/[insert your name].” You can find further instruction on e-signing on the court website.
  2. Because petitions must be notarized or sworn to, the court system has a work around for this called the Self-Certification Form. Download, fill out and save the Alaska Court System Self-Certification Form.
  3. Once you’ve downloaded and saved your Domestic Violence Form or filled out your PDF petition, you can email, fax or print/drop off your Domestic Violence Protection Order petition and Self-Certification Form.
  4. If you are emailing your documents, the subject line of the email should say the type of document you’re sending, the number of pages you’re sending, your name and your contact telephone number. If you are faxing, include a cover sheet with this information.
  5. If you do not have access to a computer, you can go to a courthouse and ask for the forms to fill out and drop them in the drop box. You can also go to your ANDVSA member program for help.
  6. Some courts may call you to ask questions about your petition before they decide whether to grant it, which is one reason why it is important to have your telephone contact number on the petition.

If you are having problems with the process, you can call your local court clerk’s office, reach out to your local ANDVSA member program or call the ANDVSA Legal Program 907-747-2990.

You can find up-to-date court contact information on the Court System website.

E-file addresses for First, Second, Third & Fourth District

3rd District Court E-mails

4th District Court E-mails